14 Dec Plan Your 2021 Retirement Contributions
Posted at 12:06h in Planning
As part of your planning for next year, now is the time to review funding your retirement accounts. By establishing your contribution amounts at the beginning of each year, the financial impact of saving for your future should be more manageable. Here are annual contribution limits for the more popular programs:
How to use
- Identify the retirement savings plans that you currently have established.
- Note the annual savings limits of the plan for next year and adjust your savings to take full advantage of the annual contributions. Remember, a missed year is a missed opportunity that does not come back.
- If you are 50 years or older, add the catch-up amount to your potential savings total.
- Take note of the income limits within each plan type.
- For traditional IRA’s, if your income is below the noted threshold, your taxable income is reduced by your contributions. The deductibility of your contributions is also limited if your spouse has access to a plan.
- In the case of Roth IRAs, the income limits restrict who can participate in the plan.
If you have not already done so, also consider:
- Setting up new accounts for a spouse or dependent(s)
- Using this time as a chance to review the status of your retirement plan including beneficiaries
- Reviewing contributions to other tax-advantaged plans like Flexible Spending Accounts (health care and dependent care) and prepaid medical savings plans like Health Savings Accounts.